Written by Gitam Garden
Christmas is coming, the Poinciana tree is flowering… Enjoy the indulgence of a a lovely rich and moist Christmas cake that is egg and wheat free!
Soaking time: overnight at least
Assembly time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 2 hours
Makes: 1 x 20cm round cake
- 2 cups mixed dried fruits: prunes, figs, apricots, raisins etc.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup ice-cold water
- 1 cup oil
- ¾ cup soft brown sugar
- 2 cups kamut flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup dark chocolate, chopped
- Chop the dried fruit into small pieces, add the water and leave to soak overnight in the refrigerator
- Grease a 20cm springform cake pan
- Preheat the oven to 160◦C
- Place the oil and sugar in a food processor and process for two minutes
- Add the flours, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda to the oil and sugar and process, adding the water from the soaked fruit
- Add more cold water if required to make a batter
- Add the soaked fruit and chopped chocolate to the mix and stir in
- Pour the batter into the cake pan, place in the bottom third of the oven and cook for about two hours
- Test for readiness by inserting a skewer into the middle of the cake, when it is cooked the skewer will come out clean
- Cool in the pan for ten minutes and then remove from pan and cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Store wrapped in greaseproof paper in a tin, and keep in a cool place
I cannot say how long this cake will keep. I haven’t been able to keep one more than a couple of days, its too yummy and delicious!